Welcome

Welcome to Spotlighting. Here I will spotlight new and interesting wedding details that I find in a hope to be a reliable resource to my brides and families. Here you will find honest, unsolicited advice and recommendations. Hopefully, you will also gain valuable insight in to who I am and how I view my work!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Dedication To Our Fallen Officers

I want to take a moment to pay my own special tribute to our two local police officers slain in the line of duty here in Charlotte last week. I spent many years as a public servant and some of those years as a Police Officer in South Carolina. Those years remain the most fulfilling years of my life and my heart will forever remain aligned with the men and women in blue and black, grey and tan. ( God Bless them every one) For many years I led our department in “Project Blue Lights.” This program honors fallen officers at Christmas with blue Christmas lights to remind us that our local law enforcement officers are our quiet heroes. It seems even now, not enough. Never enough to say “Thank you for your service to us.”


"The Final Inspection"

The policeman stood and faced his God, which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining just as brightly as his brass.
"Step forward now, policeman. How shall I deal with you? Have you always turned the other cheek? To My Church have you been true?"
The policeman squared his shoulders and said, "No Lord. I guess I ain't. Because those who carry badges can't always be a saint.
I've had to work most Sundays, and at times my talk was rough... and sometimes I've been violent because the streets are awful tough.
But I never took a penny that wasn't mine to keep... though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills got just too steep.
And I never passed a cry for help, though at times I shook with fear. And sometimes, God forgive me... I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place among the people here. They never wanted me around except to calm their earthly fear.
If you've a place for me here, Lord.... it need not be too grand. I never expected or had too much. But if you don't... I'll understand."
There was silence all around the throne where the saints had often trod as the policeman waited quietly for the judgment of his God.
"Step forward now, policeman. You've borne your burdens well. Come walk a beat on heaven's streets. You've done your time in hell."
–Author unknown