Welcome

Welcome to Spotlighting. Here I will spotlight new and interesting wedding details that I find in a hope to be a reliable resource to my brides and families. Here you will find honest, unsolicited advice and recommendations. Hopefully, you will also gain valuable insight in to who I am and how I view my work!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Creating More Interesting Engagement Photos

Everyone interested in doing an engagement session should consider whether or not they want the typical, stand-by portraits that everyone does, or if they would prefer more dynamic and dramatic engagement pictures. There will always be a place for a traditional style of portrait but more and more I have requests from couples who do not want the same boring styles and uninteresting poses.
Its important that you express this to your photographer and to find a photographer that is willing to engage in a little bit of adventure. The most dynamic photos I have an opportunity to take involve a little planning and a lot of stepping out of a comfort zone. Instead of the local park or backyard, try climbing to the top of a hill or driving out of town and finding an open field. Instead of scheduling your appointment at 4:00 in the afternoon, try waiting till nearer to sunset. Instead of the comfortable sweater and jeans routine, try a fluttery dress or skinny jeans and a rocker tee.
Ultimately you want the engagement session portraits to express who you are as a couple. The pictures should capture your relationship but remember, those dynamic photos that you long to have, require a little creativity.