Welcome

Welcome to Spotlighting. Here I will spotlight new and interesting wedding details that I find in a hope to be a reliable resource to my brides and families. Here you will find honest, unsolicited advice and recommendations. Hopefully, you will also gain valuable insight in to who I am and how I view my work!

Friday, July 10, 2009

Ettiquette (Serving Your Vendors)

I am asked this questions frequently. "Is is necessary or even expected that I serve dinner to my vendors?" Let me begin by saying that (in my opinion) any vendor that "expects" to be served dinner at "your" wedding...doesn't fully understand his or her place at your wedding. We are not invited guests. We are there to work. That is our purpose but many of your vendors will be with you for most of the day. So although I do believe that it is inappropriate for vendors to expect to be fed, I do believe it is a very nice consideration on the part of the bride and groom. If it comes down to a matter of additional meals or going over budget, then by no means should the couple feel obligated to feed their vendors.

Most of the time, we are included in the seating or told to enjoy the buffet but a few months ago, I was very touched by one of my families when they invited me to their table. We are often included at dinner but I must say that I was sincerely touched by their graciousness and hospitality...And I must say that most families treat us like friends instead of hired vendors but this family touched me in such away that I think I will always remember that one gesture.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you prefer and there really is no "proper" ettiquette. I can say that when we are included in the meal, we are always very appreciative and very grateful.